Monday, November 22, 2004


1982


Bully: Schmed Alien
Achilles Heel: Lacked confidence. Played the race card to justify not getting ahead in life. Paranoid to the point where he thought the FBI was watching him all the time.
Modus Operendi:
Drew people in with a very suave talking approach. Used subtle threats to keep people in check. Threats were always said in a manner that wouldn't get him in any trouble, because they couldn't be proven.
Profile:
He was a pretty boy. Used his looks and bragging to impress people. He spent most his time trying to figure out how not to do any work.
Food chain:
We started out as coworkers, but I ended up being his boss
-------------------------

One of the most noble professions in the world is a mail room staff person. The mail room is always considered the bowels of an organizations. The truth is an organization can get constipated quickly, if mail distribution stops for even a day. Many executives have started in the mail room. Why? Mailroom staff get to network with everyone in an organization.

So I get this 12 week gig temping in a mailroom. I meet HD, the supervisor of Office Services and RD, the assistant supervisor. HD introduces me to Schmed Alien who is going on medical leave for some surgery. Schmed spends a week showing me the ropes. I'm to fill in for him by packaging 200-300 12" computer tape reels for UPS to pick up every day. I will also help other mail room employees deliver mail. Throughout the week Schmed introduces me to other people and lets me know who's who and what's what. He tells me he's been in the mail room 7 years. Schmed goes on leave.

Fast forward 12 weeks: Schmed came back and I went away. 2 months later, HD hired me as an administrative assistant in Office Services. This made me Schmed's boss. He was not a happy camper. So the dance began.

Schmed did his best everyday to convince me I should resign. He was in line for the position I held.

Rewind: I'll explain, in a few, what I did in those 12 weeks that enabled me to get hired.



Copyright (c) C. E. Reid 2004

No comments: